As far back as I can remember I have thought of my Mom as the "World's Best Mom".
When I was 3 she was the "World's Best Mom" because she put bubbles in my bath and wrapped me up all snuggly like "a babushka".
When I was 5 she was the "World's Best Mom" because she made my sister and me birthday cakes shaped like a hamburger, hotdog and fries.
When I was 10 she was the "World's Best Mom" because she sat on the sidelines of countless baseball diamonds and cheered me on, always proud, whether we won or lost.
When I was 15 she was the "World's Best Mom" because she drove me to the mall so I could hang out with my friends.
When I was 20 she was the "World's Best Mom" because she allowed me to move back home, more than once.
When I was 25 she was the "World's Best" because she flew out several times to visit me when I was lonely in a big, unfamiliar city.
Now, I am 30, and I have two children of my own.
As I reflect on all that I have thanked my Mom for during my childhood, pre-teens, teenage years and into adulthood, I realize that there are many things that I never said "thanks" for. Things that I never realized that I was thankful for. Things that have only become apparent during my own journey into motherhood.
And, so, Mom, this one is for you.
1. Thank you for cleaning every kind of fluid that has ever come out of my body.
2. Thank you for sacrificing nights out with your friends to be home to tuck me in at night.
3. Thank you for putting your career on hold so I would always have an incredible role model to look up to.
4. Thank you for being kind to me when I wasn't always kind to you.
5. Thank you for carrying me inside you for 9 months, in your arms for several years and in your heart forever.
6. Thank you for putting on a brave face to make me feel safe, even when you were scared yourself.
7. Thank you for saying "no" to vacations, fancy cars, and designer clothes so that I could have everything that I needed, and more.
8. Thank you for having patience. So. Much. Patience.
9. Thank you for always finding time to listen to me.
10. Thank you for giving up a good night's sleep for many, many years.
11. Thank you for always worrying about my safety, yet giving me the freedom to learn lessons on my own.
12. Thank you for letting me have a temper tantrum in the middle of the grocery store, despite people glaring at you with wrongfully assuming eyes.
13. Thank you for always giving me and my sister the "best ones" and taking the leftovers for yourself.
14. Thank you for enduring the witching hour alone, while Dad was away at work.
15. Thank you for being courageous enough to show your emotions in front of me.
16. Thank you for disciplining me, even though it hurt you to see me upset.
17. Thank you for not always saying "yes", even though you felt like a mean Mom when you didn't.
18. Thank you for watching countless episodes of Sesame Street with me.
19. Thank you for teaching me about all the "girly things" that scared the crap out of Dad.
20. Thank you for always showing interest in my boyfriends and always making them feel welcome in our home.
21. Thank you for forgiving me, over and over again.
22. Thank you for allowing me to form my own opinions and not forcing yours upon me.
23. Thank you for spending countless hours to make holidays super special.
24. Thank you for taking us on vacations every summer despite the long, whiny road trips.
25. Thank you for often second guessing yourself and yet always striving to be the best parent possible.
There is nothing that I would change about you, Mom. You truly are the World's Best Mom, for me. I knew it when I was 3 and I know it more than ever now. This list is far from complete, but it would be impossible to summarize how truly grateful I am to call you "Mom".
To all the Moms out there...
Even though your kids may not yet recognize ALL that they have to be grateful for, remember...
YOU ARE LOVED.
YOU ARE ENOUGH.
YOU ARE SOMEONE'S WORLD'S BEST MOM.
And you always will be.
Happy Mother's Day!